Economy and Environment for Sustainable Development
The objective of the Economy and Environment Cluster:
In partnership with the Government, private and civil sector, focus on achieving a balanced and equitable regional low emissions economic growth based on sustainable planning and responsible use of natural resources where responsible implies i) fact-based and ii) considerate of environmental, economic and social opportunity costs.
In line with the Millennium Development Goals 1 and 7 and in partnership with key ministries and institutions, municipalities, civil and private sector, UNDP Montenegro achieves this vision through focus on an area based development approach in the northern region that seeks to:
- Diversify the energy supply through exploring efficient and sustainable ways of utilizing renewable sources of energy;
- Strengthen the provision of ecosystem services as an input for the local development through catalyzing sustainable finance and increasing the institutional and individual capacity for management of protected areas, creating green jobs and strengthening the level and standards of provision of sustainable tourism services and healthy food production;
- Address environmental threats through strengthening the institutional system for prevention, monitoring, evaluation and remediation of industrial waste and pollution, and natural disasters;
- Catalyze carbon-related finance for local and national partners through a variety of climate change mitigation measures;
- Reform the spatial planning system and strategic planning in municipalities/local authorities with the aim of creating more favorable investment and business climate, low emissions urban planning and formalization of informal settlements;
- Increase the availability and scope of information use for resource management through institutionalization of quantifiable environmental indicators and reporting mechanisms, usage of GIS and provision of a policy advice on a causal link between the economic development and sustainable use of resources.
Ms. Milica Begović-Radojević, PhD, EE Cluster Leader
Bul. Sv. Petra Cetinjskog 1A
81 000 Podgorica
Tel. +382 20 22 55 33; Fax +382 20 22 55 51
Programmes and Projects within the Economy and Environment Cluster: